Books I Have Read 2015 // Blogmas Day 12

Saturday, 12 December 2015

{Image Source- Pinterest}


Hello lovelies,

My 2015 New Year's resolution was to 'be happy and read more', I began by wanting to read at least one book a month, then I got a bit carried away and said I would read 50 books before the end of the year.

I successfully managed to fail the latter but did manage to read over 12... I wanted to share with you what I have been reading, as I love reading posts like this and I usually end up going by their recommendations and find some really good books.

Before I buy any books, I look at their reviews, or ask people if they have read it and enjoyed it. I find going into Waterstones really helpful, last time I did I asked a member of staff if they had read a particular book and not only did they recommend that one but a couple more too, and said if I didn't enjoy them I could just bring them back and change them, how good is that!?




Its Called a Breakup Because its Broken- Greg & Amira Behrendt
By the same authors of 'He's just not that into you', it is a 'smart girl's guide to a breakup' a best friend in book that gives you all the tough love and advice you need after a breakup.

Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy- Helen Fielding 
I adored this book, I read it in about 2 days. I love Bridget Jones and this is the third in the series of books, where she is a single parent and is introduced to the world of twitter. 

The Girl with all the Gifts- MJ Carey
This book is nothing that I expected it to be. The cover is bright yellow and has a little girl on it, it is very far from what I was expecting. It is a utopian novel, set in the future. I can't say too much about it without giving away the twist, it's good but not particularly my cup of tea.

The Rosie Project- Graeme Simison
I actually brought this book after Giovanna Fletcher recommend it on her Youtube channel, it is a romance about a professor called Don Tillman who sets himself a Wife Project, in doing so, he meets Rosie, who is looking for her biological father and they set out on the Rosie Project to find her dad. I did enjoy this book and gave it to my friend to read after me.

All my friends are superheroes- Andrew Kaufman
I heard so much hype about this book, I had to add it to my bookshelf too. It is a short story, but hilarious, each of his friends has their own unique super power, like the 'spooner' and the 'ear', I read this in under a hour, I recommend it just to read about the hilarious superpowers.



A Million Miles In a Thousand Years- Donald Miller
The best thing about this book title, is that it is impossible to describe in charades. It is a memoir, and talks about living life to the fullest. A lot of lessons were learnt when I read this and have taken them with me into how I live now.
“A good storyteller doesn’t just tell a better story, though. He invites other people into the story with him, giving them a better story too.”

Grow Up- Ben Brooks
This is another book I read in no time at all, a day I think? It talks about youth and the struggles, but the best part of all, how hilariously silly it is in hindsight. This book made me feel reminiscent on my schol life, although it was a boys perspective. I brought this book because it has Noel Fielding's seal of approval saying it will 'make you snort with laughter'.

The Bone Season- Samantha Shannon
This is the book I enjoyed the least, but think that may be because I didn't pay enough attention to it as I maybe should have. I think I may reread this book actually, the concept is super interesting and I think I just missed that the first time. This is also a Utopian novel (Hunger Games is a Utopian novel) one that is set in the future and a different society. 

You're the One That I Want- Giovanna Fletcher
If you haven't read a Giovanna Fletcher book, then you must! You are missing out, her writing is dreamy and lovely, and this book is up there with one of my favourite books of all time. She writes chick lit, and it is chick lit at its finest let me tell ya! This book is about Maddy, who loves two men, her best friends, and their relationships since childhood. I cried, laughed but ultimately loved this book, every second of it.

The Girl On the Train- Paula Hawkins
I picked this book up after just reading the description. It is a psychological thriller (not the type of book I usually go for) in the narrative of 3 woman, all involved with one man. Something happens and it is a mystery to find out what and who did it. It was such an addictive book you couldn't put it down. After I read it, I gave it to my friend and she read it in a day, it then got a lot of hype, so everyone is clearly loving it too, I 100% recommend!

The Humans- Matt Haig
Matt Haig is such an intelligent writer, and this is a really interesting read. It is about a professor who's body is taken over by an alien (essentially- but I think in the book it is called something much more complicated) I love the way he interprets humans, this is my favourite quote of the whole book -“The tea seemed to be making things better. It was a hot drink made of leaves, used in times of crisis as a means of restoring normality.”

We are all completely beside ourselves- Karen Joy Fowler
Not my favourite book of the year, but interesting nonetheless, I read it after hearing about the dramatic 'twist' in it. I was super interested to see what all the fuss was about, but can't say I liked it as much as I had hoped to.

The Time of My Life- Cecelia Ahern
I was given this book as a gift, as I had previously read P.S I Love You, and loved it. Cecelia Ahern also wrote the book that Love, Rosie is based on, which is one of my favourite films. This book is an odd one, because I wasn't expecting it, I thought it was a book about her learning to love her life, in a way it is, but her life is a person. I know, odd, but I did enjoy it and it had some important messages in it.



Dream a Little Dream- Giovanna Fletcher
Well, after my love for You're the One that I want, I couldn't miss this one! I took this book on holiday with me, I would say a perfect holiday book. It is about Sarah who has a pretty boring life, until she starts dreaming of this gorgeous man, who just so happens to start working with her after she has already fallen in love with him in her dreams. It is such a gorgeous book, I cannot wait to read the Christmas novella of this book Dream a Little Christmas Dream, which has been on my bookshelf for 2 months already but waiting until it is properly Christmas to read it.

Secrets- Freya North
After I had finished Dream A Little Dream, which, trust me, didn't take very long, my Auntie lent me this book. Another chick lit, I loved the main character Tess, and went on to buy another Freya North book whilst reading this.

How to be a Woman- Caitlin Moran
This is the book I am currently reading and it deserves a blog post of its own, I have so much to say and praise about it, and I am not even finished yet!


Woah... and we are done. I thought this post would take me 10 minutes, not two hours to write, I had forgotten that I had actually read a few books haha!

What books have you read and loved this year? Comment below so I can check them out, I am always looking to grow my book shelf :)


Thankyou for reading,

Check out my other Blogmas posts here  

Loads of love, B xox













4 comments

  1. Ah reading books was one of my resolutions this year too! I failed massively and have so many books I want to read on my pile, i've decided to go for old favourites to get me back into the swing.. starting with re-reading Harry Potter I think! :D cannot wait!

    Hopefully we'll be more successful next year!

    Emmie || www.carpediememmie.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read Harry Potter before watching the films and I was obsessed they are so good!! Haha yes good luck to us!! Xx

      Delete
  2. The Girl on the Train was so good. It definitely creeped me out a little!

    www.hellosunday.co.uk

    ReplyDelete