ANXIETY & ALCOHOL | I DON'T DRINK

Saturday, 15 April 2017


Reactions to "No I don't drink..."

"WHATTT NO WAY WHYYY, HOW DO YOU HAVE FUN?!?!!"

"You just haven't found the right drink for you"

"Oh great can you drive us all home then?!!?!?"

"That's so WEIRD"

"Here just have one you might like it"

"Oh by the way that lemonade had vodka in it" 

No, I don't drink. Why?! Because I don't want to neither do I like it. 

Reactions like the above are exhausting, why can't, thats cool what do you want to drink instead? Not a constant battle of why I should be drinking to have fun and how I am missing out. It's just not for me, I've tried it and I don't like it. Coming to that conclusion has been a weight off my shoulders, like oh I actually don't have to drink!? Amazing.

Social events tend to involve alcohol, it is impossible to avoid. In the past I have just tried to be involved and drank a drink I thought was disgusting to avoid any questions as to why I was just drinking orange juice. Every time I was doing this it had the opposite effect on me, I would go into myself, and not feel comfortable, struggling with anxiety, alcohol would multiple these effects on me and it was making it incredibly difficult to deal with. 

I was talking to my mum about it one day and trying to decide which was best and which drink I should be drinking and she simply said, Bethany you don't have to drink alcohol if you don't want to. That hit me like omg you're right, why didn't I think of that?!? I was torturing myself with how to fit in and struggling with the effects of drinking had on me, when I simply didn't even need to do it the first place, amazing.

Let's think about it like it's cake, when people say they don't like cake, it gets a similar reaction like WHAT THE FUCK, hahah, but would you force someone to try lemon drizzle, maybe Victoria Sponge or brownies? But they insist they don't like the texture of cake, so they aren't going to like any of it. You wouldn't force someone to eat a whole cake, neither should you force someone to drink a bottle of wine. If my weird cake / alcohol analogy makes sense?

Someone said to me that was I sure about this decision and I couldn't be more happy, I feel in control of it, therefore in control of my anxiety, this is a hugely positive step for me and I feel so much better for it. 

I want to answer some of those questions then, 

I haven't found the right drink? Trust me I've tried them all, I don't like any of them. I just don't like the taste of alcohol. 

How do I have fun?! Simple, I don't need alcohol to be myself and when I do I am so far away from fun that is not worth it. I hate the effect alcohol has on me, I can assure you not drinking is so much more fun to me than having a panic attack.

Just have one?! No thankyou I would rather have something I actually like. I won't force you to drink something you don't like so please don't force me to drink anything I don't like. 

The whole lemonade / vodka incident happened at Christmas when I went out with people I went to school with, one of them was going to the bar and asked us all what we were drinking, so I asked for a lemonade. Drinking it outside, he told me it had vodka in it. I was so angry and upset, because I literally had no idea, I don't know why I didn't taste it, but that is so wrong, especially after I said I wasn't drinking and driving home, he hadn't respected my decision and given it to me anyway. 

If this post resinates with you, please share your own experiences. Remember, you don't have to drink, never feel pressured into doing anything you aren't comfortable with. We live in a society where people encourage you to have a glass of wine at the end of a hard day. Never feel like you are not normal and you can always say NO. 

I may have a glass of prosecco on the odd occasion but don't fill up my glass, don't ask me if I'm pregnant when I'm drinking orange juice and don't tell me to liven up and just do it handing me a tequila shot. 

I hope this has helped some people who are battling that same struggle.

Thankyou for reading, 

from Beth xxxx








4 comments

  1. I never understood why would you need alcohol to have fun. I've never got drunk and I'm nt planning on getting. I don't mind alcohol but I just choose not to drink it. xo

    Antonia || Sweet Passions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, its all about your own personal choice. xxxxx

      Delete
  2. I love this post. Me myself I do drink, however when I am not in a good head space I avoid it. I don't see why anyone should be forced to drink or succumb to peer pressure, especially when they dont even like it! Good on you girl.
    Lola Mia // www.lolitabonita.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting to see how many people have told me it effects their mental health too. Thankyou so much for your comment! xxxxxxxx

      Delete