HOW TO BE PRODUCTIVE

Wednesday, 7 June 2017



Hello again, here I am with some advice, you know I love to give advice, I like to think of myself as a life guru with all the answers, but of course I am not.

Some days, I definitely do struggle with being productive. I feel like you just are when you're working from home, it makes it difficult to get into the right mind set to actively sit down and work or get stuff done. 

Since leaving college, I have worked on and off part time / full time. When there's not many hours at work and I'm doing part time shifts, I really focus on blogging as it makes me feel like I'm not just dossing about watching Big Bang Theory repeats and eating Jammy Dodgers. 

Along the way, I have had extremely productive days where I write 5 posts, take and edit photos and generally get shit done. Some days, I write a paragraph which eventually gets deleted because my mind had wondered off and I was thinking about learning all the words  to Ed Sheeran's new song.

My first piece of advice which I think is the most important, would be to put yourself in the work zone. Create yourself a work space, which isn't your bed or the sofa. Think more like a desk, and if you don't have a desk like me, use the kitchen table. 

Also you're going to be productive, and you know what you can't be productive in? Is pyjamas. I KNOW they are the best and more comfiest clothes you own, but you wear them to chill out in and to go to sleep in, you wouldn't turn up to the office in your pjs so don't wear them when you're working from home. Just putting your 'day' clothes on, even putting a bit of makeup on if you like, makes you feel more productive it just puts you in the right head space.

Make sure you eat. I know how do some people forget to eat? But you do, when you're immersed in what you're doing, and don't have a designated lunch break then you forget. You need to eat and drink to fuel your body, you will notice you will start to flag, your concentration will disappear and you will get more irritated by what you're doing if you forget to take a break and have something substantial to eat. 

Turn off your phone. I do this on days where I really need to get stuff done, like writing, because as soon as you get a notification go off on your phone, thats it you're fucked for at least 20 minutes, its like a rabbit hole and you get lost, checking all your social medias. I am the least productive person when my phones on because I have no will power but to look at every 5 minutes. If you're using it to listen to music, just turn it on airplane mode so that no notifications come through. 

Talking of music, if you can't bear the sound of your own typing or whatever you're doing for hours on end and you want to listen to music, I would suggest listening to music you know and like. Otherwise you'll be stopping mid train of thought to skip the songs, and also when you listen to music you like you can sort of tune out of it a bit because your brain knows it so you're not concentrating on it. Or listen to music without words, I know so many people that listen to the Harry Potter soundtrack because it is all orchestral. Or just don't listen to anything at all, that's what I do.

Lastly, make a list of all the things you need to get done. It makes it so much more useful when you're struggling to think of what to do next, and also feels so rewarding when you can tick them all off as you go. 

I hope this has helped some of you who are struggling to be productive. Just close that Netflix tab and focus!

Thankyou for reading,

from Beth xxx




1 comment

  1. I love this, if you fancy it you should check out my blog post 'productive procrastinator' http://www.forevergigi.co.uk/2017/05/productive-procrastinator.html

    I am a student, mum, and i work etc ... my post similar to yours is about how to be productive and mange time in particular in relation to my studying.

    GiGi

    ReplyDelete