15 THINGS GIRLS NEED TO KNOW.

Thursday, 13 July 2017



As a 16 year old, I was badly applying fake tan, walking over to my friends house in my socks, drinking tea before spitting it out from laughing too much, avoiding doing any school work, and tie dying all my clothes pink. I made some mistakes as a teenager, as everyone does, so I have written down my advice I have learnt the hard way. 

1. Look after your skin. You know what, you need to moisturise, and sun cream is your friend. Don't trust anyone who tells you baby oil works as sun cream & will help you get a tan. Take it from my friend who ended up in A&E, it ain't pretty. Also sudocrem is great for spots, I'll tell you what isn't great for spots, is sticking pins in them, squeezing them & over scrubbing your face. Get yourself to Lush or The Body Shop and ask them what they recommend. Also spots don't last forever, its just hormones being a bitch. 

2. Drinking cheap white wine through a straw will make you sick. Again, people love to tell you otherwise, cut to 4 hours later when have projectile vomited on your bathroom floor. 

3. No one actually walks in heels AND is comfortable. The two just don't go hand in hand, You will never hear someone say ' God! These heels are a dream! I will wear this every day!' Wear flats babe, you'll thank me later. 

4. Wear your retainer, if you have one. For the love of God, wear your retainer! Stop telling yourself your teeth won't move because they will, then you will cry and remember the time when you're teeth were straight and how you wished you had worn it. I am of course talking from personal experience and now facing a huge dentist bill if I want to fix them (again!)

5. You don't have to do what everyone else is doing. You find it boring, don't waste time trying to be cool. Embrace the stuff you love & be yourself, then people will love you for you really are, and you'll have the best time. 

6. Get insurance. Yeah alright a bit of a boring one, but when you, hungover, go to put your phone in your pocket, miss, and it hits the cold hard pavement, you will be fucked

7. Keep a diary. You are going through one of the hardest, yet most hilarious time of your life. Write entires whenever you feel like it, you're older self will be so thankful you did, memories are the best and its so interesting to look back at your point of view from when you were younger. 

8. Body confidence is a tricky one. You may not be totally 100% satisfied with your body (yet!). One of the biggest lessons I learnt, was that I can't change my skeleton. I can't make my legs longer, I can't make myself taller. So instead, find the clothes that suit you best, tell yourself your boobs are great, your legs are fabulous, and that you are beautiful. Stop worrying, you don't know how amazing you look!

9. Cystitis is a bitch, and to be avoided at all costs. Go for a wee straight after having sex. I am telling you now, straight away. I sat in minor injuries, in my work uniform, crying, as a nurse examined my wee and prescribed me antibiotics for a week. 

10. You don't need to have it all figured out. It doesn't matter if you don't have an opinion on everything. Or know what you're going to study at uni, or if you even want to go to uni. Just because everyone else is doing one thing doesn't mean you have to as well. Use your time to learn about yourself, what you enjoy, who you want to be friends with. Experience life, don't let it just happen to you. 

11. Forget about being 'pretty'. I dread to think how many hours and how much money I spent on clothes that didn't suit me, because someone else looked cool in them, or trying to do my hair in a certain way because everyone on instagram was going it in that way. Re define what you think is pretty. Unfollow those accounts which make you feel insecure, buy that jumper because it keeps you warm and wear bright pink lipstick because you love it! Be pretty funny, pretty clever, pretty kind, pretty confident, pretty badass.

12. Be friends with boys. I was amongst a few friendship groups in school, and whilst I had my best friends who were girls, I also had a few best friends who were boys and I learnt so much from them. You know what, they can't be bothered to listen to the gossip, instead they'll play fruit ninja with you or air guitar to blink 182, and give you iced gems to make you feel better. They are just your mate, who won't talk about you behind your back or criticise a dress you wore (not saying all girls are like, neither are all boys, but they make good friends and you can do stupid stuff with them without worrying about being judged)

13. Talcum powder is a great alternative for dry shampoo in emergency situations. 

14. Products & advertising is designed to make you feel insecure and inadequate without them hence getting you to spend money on them. When in reality you don't need it and they put a lot of effort in to making it seem like the best thing ever and you need it in your life. They could make you buy a cat poo if they put over the right music and said the right things. For example, diet tea's (they make you have the shits) fanny deodorant (its self cleaning, who knew?!) its all a big con to make money.

15. Most importantly, have fun & do stupid stuff. There are these great things called anecdotes that you tell your mates in the pub. At the time, it may have been the stupidest thing you've ever done, but it will make a great story later, remember that. Forget about trying to impress people, be young and carefree, because before you know it you will be a 'real' adult and have to pay bills and do boring stuff like go to work. Lastly, nobody actually has 'their shit together' its all just a big lie, we're all just pretending. 

Thankyou for reading, feel free to share this post if you liked it. 

Beth xx
















No comments

Post a Comment